HCC Insurance Holdings
It's been a challenging summer for specialty insurance firm HCC Insurance Holdings (HCC). Despite strong stock performance to start the year, the company saw a sharp selloff at the end of July that pushed shares into losing territory for 2011. That said, with dividends factored in, shareholders are still up year-to-date.
HCC is in the business of providing insurance products to commercial and personal customers worldwide. The firm is a leader in smaller insurance markets where competition is less -- that's a very attractive focus for an insurer, whose offerings tend to be commoditized these days. With Hurricane Irene a not-too-distant memory for millions of East Coasters, investors are understandably wondering just how much insurers will get hit. The short answer is "not much" -- damage by the storm looks to be a fraction of initial estimates, and most monetary damage was due to flooding, which is insured by the Federal government. In other words, HCC should avoid a big hit to its financials.The company announced a 6.9% dividend increase last week that brings the firm's total quarterly dividend payout to 15.5 cents per share. That upgrade brings HCC's yield to 2.15% right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV