White House Sees 9% Unemployment in 2012
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The White House is predicting stubbornly high unemployment and slow economic growth in 2012, as President Obama fights for reelection against a new crop of GOP presidential hopefuls.
The Office of Management and Budget released its mid-session review of the budget on Thursday, with White House researchers now forecasting an unemployment rate of 8.3% in 2012 and 7.7% in 2013. The jobless rate falls to 5.2% by 2018, according to the White House's forecasts.
The administration's alternative economic forecast, though, factors in an unemployment rate of 9% next year, slightly below the 9.1% rate in 2011. The jobless rate is expected to fall only slightly to 8.5% by 2013, based on the alternative measure.
"In sum, economic growth and job creation, while positive, have not been strong enough to bring down the unemployment rate to an acceptable level," the White House budget office said in its summary.President Obama will address Congress on Sept. 8, with the focus of his remarks falling on job creation. The Labor Department will release August nonfarm payrolls data Friday at 8:30 a.m. ET, with economists expecting the jobless rate to remain at 9.1%, unchanged from July. The White House budget office also expects gross domestic product, or GDP, growth to remain weak in the next year, although researchers are not calling for a double dip recession. The alternative economic forecast from the White House calls for real GDP growth of 1.7% this year, 2.6% in 2012 and 3.5% in 2013. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes. >To follow Robert Holmes on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/RobTheStreet. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV