5 Insane Marketing Ideas That Worked
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- One of the first lessons for any business, no matter what industry or size, is the importance of cost-efficient and effective marketing.
Small businesses have an additional challenge: getting noticed while competing against larger, more established firms, and on what is likely a much smaller budget. Add in a tough economy and continued consumer purse-string tightening and small-business marketing can be a tough trick indeed.
But more than a few small businesses have decided to go big or go home, pulling out all the stops to get brand recognition through some creative and, uh, different strategies.
"A small business isn't going to be able to use traditional marketing tools and spend millions of dollars -- you almost have to go for the wacky, so to speak, in order to get some attention," says Lonny Strum of the Voorhees, N.J.-based Strum Consulting Group.For a small business that wants to grow, "it's usually not through sending out direct-mail pieces," Strum says. But big ideas are not easy to come by. "One out of every 100 is a great idea," he says, warning that businesses need to be sure the idea reaches the right audiences and reflects well on the business. Here are five businesses that executed some untraditional marketing tactics -- and succeeded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV