PALO ALTO, Calif. (TheStreet) --HP (HPQ) chairman Ray Lane is confident the company can make money from WebOS, despite the tech giant's decision to ditch hardware based on the mobile operating system.
During an interview with CNBC on Thursday, Lane confirmed that WebOS can still drive revenue for HP via licensing it out to third parties. "We're free now to have WebOS run on any device, just like Android does, and we plan to do that," he said.
|HP chairman Ray Lane is confident that the company's WebOS software can make money.|
HP has not yet divulged its long-term plans for the WebOS software IP; Todd Bradley, executive vice president of the firm's Personal Systems Group (PSG), recently said that the OS is still "strategically important" for HP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV