Lucentis works very well in AMD, so does its sister drug Avastin at a significantly cheaper price. As Will points out, Regeneron is seeking FDA approval of Eylea for AMD, with a decision expected in November.
Frankly, squalamine doesn't stand a chance. Genaera was developing an intravenous version of the drug, which Ohr has somehow reformulated into an eye drop. How and why the eye drop version will work better than the IV formulation isn't clear. Surely, treating AMD with an eye drop is more patient friendly than the eye injection required for drugs like Lucentis, Avastin or Eylea. But investors should be under no illusion that squalamine -- a tired, old and failed drug -- has any real shot at resurrection.
That's why Ohr was able to buy the drug for just $200,000 in the first place.
--Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV