From what I can gather, the only advantage offered by IntelGenx's CPI-300 is this single-pill convenience. CPI-300 isn't more effective than regular bupropion; it isn't safer or better tolerated. All CPI-300 does is allow a patient who needs 450 mg of bupropion to swallow one pill every day instead of two pills every day.
Sorry, but there's nothing "novel" about CPI-300 especially when you consider that bupropion is generic. No insurance company is going to pay for CPI-300 over cheap, generic bupropion. Forget about it.
FDA rejected CPI-300 in 2010 citing problems with the drug's manufacturing and a food effect. IntelGenx claims to have resolved both issues. A new contract-manufacturing partner was brought on to make CPI-300, but how IntelGenx resolved the food effect issue is a bit unclear. A company spokesperson says CPI-300 was reformulated to show a food effect similar to what's seen with Wellbutrin XL but the data to support this reformulation wasn't provided.
Oh, I should also mention that after FDA rejected CPI-300 in 2010, IntelGenx's development partner
Cary Pharmaceuticals walked away. IntelGenx says Cary gave up on CPI-300 due to lack of funds. Regardless, IntelGenx has no marketing partner for CPI-300, very little cash, no commercial or marketing infrastructure of its own and the stock trades on the bulletin boards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV