CARSON CITY (AP) â¿¿ A company that wants to resume mining gold and silver at the site of the historic Comstock Lode in Virginia City has won approval of a necessary permit from state environmental regulators.
Comstock Mining Inc. President Corrado De Gasperis says the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection approved the mercury permit that shows the company has the proper safety procedures in place to deal with the naturally occurring metal found in rocks in the region.
Comstock Mining hopes to begin operations before the end of the year.
The open pit project has drawn opposition from a number of residents in Virginia City, Gold Hill and Silver City because of its proximity to a state and national historic district.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV