Sales of the new Ford Explorer rose 300% to 9,901 units, while Escape sales rose 39% to 20,607 and overall utility sales gained 49%. Lincoln sales gained 25% to 8,006. Overall Ford sales totaled 175,220.
"Customers value the fuel efficiency and technology of our new utilities," said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service, in a prepared statement. "Ford's fuel-efficient cars, crossovers and trucks continue winning over consumers in the marketplace."
The 2012 Explorer gets an estimated 28 miles a gallon on the highway when equipped with an EcoBoost engine, Ford said.Through August, Ford was the best-selling brand of utility vehicles in America, with sales up 30% to 377,112 units. Meanwhile, sales of the Ford F-Series pickup, the best-selling U.S. vehicle, gained just 2.4% to 48,795 units. F-Series with V-6 engines accounted for 57% of sales. Sales of the Fusion, Ford's best-selling car (pictured above), gained 4.9% to 17,925 units. Fusion sales are up 16% year-to-date. Focus sales, constrained by low inventory, fell 9% to 14,093. Fiesta and Focus remain the fastest-turning vehicles in its showrooms, the company said. In the fourth quarter, Ford plans to produce 645,000 vehicles, up 9% from a year earlier. Planned third quarter production of 630,000 vehicles is unchanged from the previous forecast. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV