MINNEAPOLIS ( Stockpickr) -- If you are searching for the pincer of the recent stock market correction look no further than clothing retailers. Bears have crushed stocks in the group throwing out the baby with the bathwater. It is a veritable blood in the streets moment. You should take the opportunity for selective buying.
Recent gains this week have not changed the story. Investors are positioning for a double dip recession against policy makers, both fiscal and monetary, with no bullets to fight the battle. In the clothing sector we are witnessing a perfect storm of negative factors conspiring against these businesses. If the consumer contracts as it likely would during an economic slowdown retail companies will see lower revenue and profits.
Watching the group over the last few weeks has been interesting and enlightening. I have yet to see a retail stock avoid the carnage. Even companies with stellar performance are not escaping the downdraft. The across the board action creates opportunities.
Related: 4 Stocks to Buy To Be Like BuffettWhile it is true that a weaker consumer would create operating challenges, there are businesses that are positioned to do well irrespective of economic growth. The discounted values of these solid names should be viewed as a chance to buy quality at a low price. Here are 5 pummeled clothing retail stocks:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV