BOSTON (MainStreet) -- Spiking gold prices over the past few years have been a boon for many Americans, and not just those who invest in bullion, coins and mining companies.
The average person has seen their jewelry collection evolve from fashion to asset. The growing presence of shops and websites offering to buy unwanted gold jewelry is a testimony to how in demand and profitable the precious metal has become. Though less headline-grabbing, silver and platinum have also become even more valuable commodities; from January 2000 to January 2010, the price of gold quadrupled and the prices of silver and platinum more than tripled.
|With prices soaring, family gold, silver and platinum jewelry and heirlooms need to be treated like bullion.|
That entails an overlooked risk for many folks. When even a tiny earring clasp is worth enough to pay for dinner at a high-end restaurant, even a modest jewelry box can be worth thousands, ounce by ounce. And yet many fail to recognize the full value of what they own.
While most investors in precious metals may track prices closely on a daily basis, they are unlikely to consider how much their jewelry, silverware and other collectibles have appreciated in value, says Robert Courtemanche, division president of ACE Private Risk Services, the high net worth personal insurance business of the ACE Group (ACE).The rapid rises in the prices of gold, silver and platinum have therefore created an insurance gap, he says. A heavy gold necklace or heirloom silverware collection acquired years ago may be insured for only a fraction of the cost to replace it at today's prices. "Since the economic downturn there is a general realization that these assets they have are worth more and they should be properly protecting them, especially if their financial portfolio, their liquid assets, have been fluctuating," Courtemanche says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV