New York Slideshow: 9/11 and After
Sept. 11, 2001
People flee lower Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge in New York, Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001, following a terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
Lead hijacker Mohammed Atta telephoned plotter Ramzi Binalshibh on Aug. 29, 2001 with a riddle to solve: "Two sticks, a dash and a cake with a stick down -- what is it?" Binalshibh decoded the message to mean that the two sticks represented the number "11" and the cake with a stick down as the number "9." It is not uncommon to write a date in which the day precedes the month -- 11-9, or the 11th of September.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV