BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- This year's cruel summer in stocks may get worse if history serves as a guide.
The S&P 500 has recorded an average decline of 0.4% in September over the past 40 years, the worst month for the benchmark index, according to Capital IQ. The Dow Jones Industrial Average tends to fall 1.1% dating back to its beginning in 1896, says Dow Jones Indexes. That compares to an average gain of about 0.7% for all other months combined.
10. Nike (NKE) Company Profile: Nike is the largest seller of athletic footwear and athletic apparel in the world. Average Return Since 2001: 6.6% Best September Performance: +17.3% in 2009 Worst September Performance: -6.1% in 2001 Analysts Ratings: Nike still has significant upside potential, based on analysts' price targets. The average target price of $99.61 is about 14% above current price levels. Seventeen investment research firms, from FBR Capital to Stifel Nicolaus, rate the stock a "buy." The five other analysts covering the firm say investors should hold onto the stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV