IRVINE, Calif. and WASHINGTON, Aug. 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Broadcom Foundation and Society for Science & the Public (SSP) today announced the names of the 30 middle school finalists in the inaugural Broadcom MASTERS™ (Math, Applied Science, Technology and Engineering for Rising Stars) competition. The winners will be named on October 4 in Washington, D.C. Join the MASTERS conversation at www.facebook.com/broadcommasters. The list of participants and geographic locations is available at www.societyforscience.org/masters and www.broadcomfoundation.org/masters.
Sponsored by the Broadcom Foundation, a non-profit public benefit organization funded by Broadcom Corporation, the Broadcom MASTERS is a national STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) competition for sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
The 17 girls and 13 boys come from 14 states in addition to Puerto Rico and represent 29 schools. California and Texas have the greatest number of winners with four finalists from each state. These states are followed by Ohio and Oregon with three each; Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota and North Carolina with two each; and Arizona, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina and Washington with one each. The Broadcom MASTERS' finalists were selected by a panel of distinguished scientists and engineers from among 300 semifinalists, who were chosen from 1,476 applicants in 45 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico.
The finalists' independent research projects include a range of topics such as:
- The Big Kill: Impact of Oil and Dispersant on Algae Population
- Earthquake Magnitudes Varying as a Function of Distance from the Epicenter - Simulation using Sound Waves
- Creating an Inexpensive, Reusable and Portable Water Filtration Device using Silver Nanoparticles
- The Melting Point: A Study of Ingredients in Buttercream Icing
- Cross my Heart and Hope to Get Smarter: Cognitive Benefits of a Yogic Exercise
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV