Financial District Real Estate Bounces Back
NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Real estate values in New York City's Financial District have ebbed and flowed since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks a decade ago, but not only has the area recovered it is outperforming other Manhattan neighborhoods.
More than 20 million square feet of new development have been built in Lower Manhattan over the last 10 years and asking rents -- both for commercial and residential properties, leases and purchases -- are on the rise again following the Great Recession, according to a Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) report.
Retail rents rose between 24% and 68% throughout the city over the last decade, depending on the neighborhood, with the steepest jump in the downtown area, where retailers can now expect to pay upwards of $100 per square foot.Commercial space peaked in the summer of 2008 at $62.27/sf in Lower Manhattan, compared with $99.22/sf in Midtown and $88.37/sf in Manhattan overall. Immediately following Sept. 11, those rates were $42.28/sf, $61.28/sf and $54.68/sf, respectively, REBNY said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV