NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Samsung joined forces with AT&T (T), Sprint (S) and T-Mobile to launch its latest skinny Android superphone, the Galaxy S II, which it touts as the world's thinnest 4G smartphone.
"I am a firm believer that the Galaxy S II is the best smartphone we have ever launched and the best smartphone on the market," said Todd Pendleton, chief marketing officer at Samsung Telecommunications America, during a flashy New York City launch event Tuesday evening.The Galaxy S II, a newcomer to the U.S., is flying off the shelves in Europe and Korea, according to Samsung. Speaking during the launch event, Pendleton said that the Korean tech giant has sold 5 million of the phones in the last 85 days. Similar to the Infuse 4G, the Android Gingerbread-powered Galaxy S II boasts a sleek design and a large super-AMOLED Plus display. Like the Infuse 4G, the S II feels lightweight and sturdy, and also uses Samsung's TouchWiz screen interface. Unlike its predecessor, however, Samsung is aiming the device at both consumers and enterprises. Conscious of the iPhone's growing popularity in corporate America, Samsung built a host of enterprise features into the S II. These include hardware-based data encryption, support for Cisco (CSCO) VPN and WebEx mobile conferencing, and Sybase mobile device management and Microsoft (MSFT) Exchange ActiveSync version 14. New consumer features on the Galaxy S II include Voice Talk, which lets users communicate hands free with the device by saying, "Hey Galaxy." Voice commands can then be used to perform tasks such as text messaging, dialing and Web searches.
|Samsung touts the Galaxy S II as the world's thinnest 4G smartphone.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV