Bill Miller has been a manager on the Legg Mason Value Trust (LMVTX) fund since 1982 and helped lead it to an enviable record. He beat the S&P 500 for 15 consecutive years, from 1991 to 2005. Miller, like Berkowitz, has been a Morningstar fund manager of the decade.
But now it looks as if the market has shifted against him. Over the past five years, the Value Trust has fallen an annual average of 8.3%, and this year it's down 8.3% as well. That's why it now has $3.4 billion in assets, compared with $21 billion at the peak.Miller is currently holding lots of financial-services stocks, which is dragging down performance. Stakes in Wells Fargo (WFC), Citigroup (C) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) have contributed to that. Computer maker Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), a top 10 holding that is down 37% this year, is another albatross for the good ship Miller. A previous tech blowup for Miller, Sprint Nextel (S), helped sully his reputation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV