Best-Performing Stocks Under $5 in 2011
5. Echo Therapeutics (ECTE)
Company Profile: Echo Therapeutics is a medical device and pharmaceutical company that is developing a non-invasive, wireless, transdermal glucose monitoring system for use in clinical settings and for people with diabetes.Shares of Echo Therapeutics were trading around $1.50 to start the year but doubled by the end of January after the company announced it received a $3 million funding commitment from its largest shareholder, Platinum Montaur Life Sciences. The company also announced that it has raised $2.5 million through a series of private placements of stock and warrants. Echo CEO Patrick Mooney said in January that the deals provided sufficient funds to substantially complete product development, clinical studies and manufacturing of both the company's skin permeation platform technology and its needle-free continuous glucose monitoring system. Current Share Price: $3.70 (Aug. 30) 2011 Total Return: 131% Analyst Ratings: Echo Therapeutics garners six "buy" ratings from Wall Street research firms, including JMP Securities and Stifel Nicolaus. The average price target of $6.33 represents potential upside of 71%. TheStreet Ratings rates Echo Therapeutics a "sell," calling attention to the company's "deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
4. Interphase (INPH) Company Profile: Interphase is a telecom-equipment maker. The company provides services for LTE and WiMAX, interworking gateways, packet processing, network connectivity, and security for key applications for the communications and enterprise markets. Interphase shares more than doubled on Feb. 11, a day after the company reported fourth-quarter financial results. The company said revenue in the quarter jumped 24% to $5.8 million as it swung to a quarterly profit. The stock hit a high of $7.59 in March but has been steadily pulling back since. Current Share Price: $4.60 (Aug. 30) 2011 Total Return: 155% Analyst Ratings: There are no research firms covering Interphase currently. TheStreet Ratings has a "sell" rating on the stock, which it has maintained since downgrading the stock from "hold" in July 2009. The latest report says Interphase's primary weakness is "feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV