8. Chevron (CVX) is a $200 billion energy major with both upstream and downstream operations.
Net income for the second quarter of 2011 was reported at $7.7 billion, improving from $5.4 billion in the same quarter prior year. Sales rose to $69 billion from $53 billion in the year-ago quarter, riding on higher crude oil prices.
"We reached an important milestone in streamlining our downstream asset portfolio with receipt of government approval for the planned sale of our refining and marketing assets in the United Kingdom and Ireland," said John Watson, the company's CEO. During the quarter, Chevron completed the sale of its fuels-marketing and aviation businesses in three Central American countries, as well as other assets in North America and China.Chevron's capital outlay was $13.4 billion for the first six months of 2011, and it is actively pursuing projects in the upstream segment. The stock gained 34% during the last one year and is trading at 7.3 times with 81% buy ratings. Chevron's 2011 earnings are estimated to grow with 25% upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV