Stocks Extend Rally for Third Day
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks rallied for a third straight day Tuesday as news the Federal Reserve considered a more aggressive course of action at its last meeting countered a weak read on consumer confidence.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished up 21 points, or 0.2%, at 11,560. The S&P 500 rose 3 points, or 0.2%, to close at 1213, and the Nasdaq gained 14 points, or 0.6%, to settle at 2576.
Despite the gain, market watchers were skeptical the major U.S. equity indices would continue to build on the recent rally.
"For now, the market looks to battle around these levels," says Jeff Sciscillo, strategist at Campbell Wealth Management."By being oversold in the near term, the market could bounce but remain in an overall downtrend," said Sam Stovall, investment strategist with Standard & Poor's. "Investors remain worried about a potential recession in the U.S. and sovereign debt worries in Europe. However, the purchasing of Spanish and Italian debt by the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund has helped quell investor concerns," he added. Earlier in the session, the Dow shaved off some 40 points on news that confidence among consumers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV