5 Stocks Set to Pop on Earnings
WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- Earnings reports have the power to create big volatility in stocks, particularly when bullish numbers are reported for a stock that's heavily shorted. That fuel can ignite a large short squeeze in any equity. Short-sellers rush to cover their positions to avoid huge losses as investors react to the news and snap up the stock.
You only need to find a couple of these candidates in a year to enhance your returns -- the gains become so outsized in such a short timeframe that your profits add up quickly.
Don't forget that these stocks are heavily shorted for a reason, so you have to use trading discipline and sound money management when playing earnings short-squeeze candidates. Manage your risk accordingly. Sometimes its best to wait for the stock to break out, letting the trend emerge after the market has digested all of the news.
Related: 5 Shorted Bank Stocks Set to ClimbHowever, sometimes the stock is going to be in such high demand that you will miss a lot of the move. That's when it's only worth betting prior to the report if you have a very strong conviction that the stock is going to explode higher. Here's a look at a number of stocks that could experience big short squeezes when they report earnings this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV