AIM Value Fund Plans 3-for-1 Share Split
The large-cap (AVLFX)AIM Value fund will split its shares 3 for 1 on Nov. 10, AIM Funds announced Thursday.
That means the broker-sold funds' shareholders will get three shares for every one they own at the close of business that day. The move, which isn't a taxable event, won't raise or diminish the value of a shareholder's investment in the fund because the fund's net asset value, or share price, will be divided by three accordingly.
Although some investors might avoid funds with a high share price -- the fund's Class A shares closed at $42.62 on Wednesday -- a fund's share price is neither inherently positive nor negative. A fund's price is based on the underlying value of the stocks in the fund's portfolio. In other words, no matter what a fund's share price, a dollar invested will get the same return.
While some in the industry would agree that a share price above $20 can discourage investors, it's a tough case to make. The $105.6 billion (VFINX)Vanguard 500 Index fund, the largest fund in the nation, had a $126 share price as of Wednesday's close.Although splits for shares of a company's stock don't have any bearing on a company's actual value either, the argument for stock-share splits is better: Since stocks often have to be bought in round lots, reducing a stock's share price makes it more accessible to modest investors. But this argument doesn't work for funds, where investors buy dollar amounts, not blocks of shares. See this Dear Dagen column, With Mutual Funds, Splitting Shares Is Splitting Hairs, for more on share splits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV