US Marshals To Sell Rare Yellow Diamond
By Michelle Smith-Exclusive to Diamond Investing News
Anyone interested in a 43 carat flawless yellow diamond may like to know that the United States Marshals Service (USMS) has one for sale. The rare stone, known as the Golden Eye, will be available through an online Bid 4 Assets auction from September 6, at 8 am to September 8, at 3 pm.
In 2006, Paul Monea arranged to sell an estate formerly owned by Mike Tyson and the Golden Eye for $19 million and a boat. This deal was actually an undercover FBI operation that earned Monea a 12 ½ year sentence for money laundering. The diamond, which at the time was owned by the Monea Family Trust, became of the property of the federal government and the USMS has been ordered to sell it.
The Golden Eye is actually 43.51 carats and has a cushion modified brilliant cut that is considered fair. It is internally flawless and has been deemed to be fancy intense yellow. The stone does not have any green or orange modifying color, according to a report from the Geological Institute of America.This latter point is a significant one because even subtle overtones can make a big difference in the value of a yellow diamond, according to Nina Woolford, Master Gemologist Appraiser and Principle of C.M Woolford and Associates. The minimum bid for the Golden Eye is $900,000 and placing that bid requires a refundable deposit of $180,000. Interested parties can view the stone but doing so requires paying the deposit. Bid 4 Assets would not disclose the number of appointments already scheduled, but at the time that this article is being published, slots are still available. Due to federal rules, certain individuals are considered unqualified to bid, such as government employees, government contractors and sub-contractors or family members of these individuals. The USMS, therefore reserves the right to refuse transferring the diamond to a winner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV