In a Phase 3 trial, the drug, which has the commercial name ELIQUIS, was compared with another drug, warfarin, in 18,201 patients with atrial fibrillation and at least one risk factor for stroke.
Compared with warfarin, apixaban reduced the risk of stroke or systemic embolism by 21%, major bleeding by 31% and mortality by 11%, the companies said.
The companies are developing the drug to prevent and treat blood clots."The risk for stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation is a major public health concern in an aging population," Dr. Christopher B. Granger, a professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center and lead investigator of the study, was quoted saying in a news release from Bristol-Myers and Pfizer. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll "We are therefore encouraged by the outcome of the ARISTOTLE trial, which showed that apixaban, as compared with warfarin, significantly reduced the risk of stroke or systemic embolism, major bleeding, and mortality," Granger said. The clinical trial results were presented at a medical conference in Paris and published in The New England Journal of Medicine. Shares of Bristol-Myers Squibb closed Friday up 24 cents at $28.72, while shares of Pfizer ended the session up 25 cents at $18.21.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV