How They (And You) Make Money Off Disasters
Oil shortages and price spikes have many victims.
Households, in particular, suffer as the price at the pump grows and products made with petroleum get more expensive.
While they languish, others prosper. Commodity investors are poised to win as oil prices spike, and the impact ripples throughout their marketplace.The big winners, when oil prices and supply dips prove to be seismic and not just temporary, will be those involved with "green technology," including the hybrid and electric cars made by Toyota (TM), Ford, Nissan (NSANY), GM, Tesla Motors (TSLA) and Detroit Electric. High energy costs also benefit companies in the space, leaders among them being GT Solar (SOLR), First Solar (FSLR), JA Solar (JASO), Sun Power (SPWRA) and SolarCity, which counts Google among its investors. Wind turbines would also gain more acceptance for industrial and home use, benefiting the (small, but growing) manufacturers such as Vestas, GE, Siemens (SI) and Southwest Wind Power. -- Written by Joe Mont in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV