Company Profile: MasterCard services and supports credit, debit and related payment programs to financial institutions.2011 Total Return: 44.3% Current Share Price: $322.86 (Aug. 25) Shares of MasterCard have been gaining ground all year, but they really took off earlier this month after the company reported second-quarter results. Earnings were up 33% as revenue jumped 22%. Even the big investors are piling into MasterCard: During the second quarter, billionaire investor Warren Buffett doubled his stake in the card processor. MasterCard is a darling among analysts, garnering a whopping 27 "buy" ratings from firms like Wells Fargo, Sterne Agee and RBC Capital. Another seven analysts have a "hold" rating on the stock, while one lone research firm says investors should sell the stock. Even after the rally this year, analysts expect the stock to rise 10% to an average price target of $360.74, according to a survey by Bloomberg.
2. National Semiconductor (NSM - Get Report) Company Profile: National Semiconductor designs and manufactures a range of semiconductor products, most of which are analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits. 2011 Total Return: 81.5% Current Share Price: $24.80 (Aug. 25) While many technology stocks have languished this year, National Semi has bucked the trend to be the second-best performer among all stocks in the S&P 500. The strong performance has little to do with how well National Semi is performing operationally. In April, Texas Instruments announced a deal to acquire the company for $25 a share in an all-cash transaction of about $6.5 billion. For that reason, most analysts who still cover National Semi rate the stock "hold" with an average price target of $25. The deal is expected to close sometime later this year, according to the companies.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts