7. Biogen Idec (BIIB)
Company Profile: Biogen Idec is a biotechnology company, developing drugs for neurological disorders.2011 Total Return: 35.2% Current Share Price: $90.67 (Aug. 25) Approval of a five-year marketing plan for multiple-sclerosis drug Tysabri in Europe and a positive study for Avonex, another MS treatment, have impressed Biogen's investors. Biogen's treatments have been delivering solid sales growth. The stock rocketed higher in April on first-quarter results and again in July on second-quarter earnings and sales, pushing to a 52-week high of $110. Analysts are calling for upside of nearly 25%, based on an average price target of $114.80. Fourteen analysts, including those at RBC Capital and Oppenheimer, say Biogen is a "buy." Another 10, including Goldman Sachs and R.W. Baird, say investors should sit tight. Only one firm recommends selling shares of Biogen.
6. AutoNation (AN) Company Profile: AutoNation is the largest auto-dealership chain in the U.S. The company offers a range of automotive products and services, including new vehicles, used vehicles, parts and automotive repair and maintenance services, and automotive finance and insurance products. 2011 Total Return: 35.9% Current Share Price: $38.32 (Aug. 25) Shares of AutoNation sit near an all-time high, but the stock is actually among the S&P 500 constituents with the largest negative gap between share price and analyst targets. According to a survey by Bloomberg, analysts have an average price target of $32.50, 17% below current levels. Most analysts are neutral or bearish on the stock; AutoNation garners no "buy" ratings from the 14 analysts following the stock. Despite the dour view of analysts, AutoNation continues to perform. Second-quarter revenue increased nearly 8%, although that fell short of estimates due to shortages from Japanese manufacturers following the tsunami and earthquake.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV