7. Biogen Idec (BIIB)
Company Profile: Biogen Idec is a biotechnology company, developing drugs for neurological disorders.2011 Total Return: 35.2% Current Share Price: $90.67 (Aug. 25) Approval of a five-year marketing plan for multiple-sclerosis drug Tysabri in Europe and a positive study for Avonex, another MS treatment, have impressed Biogen's investors. Biogen's treatments have been delivering solid sales growth. The stock rocketed higher in April on first-quarter results and again in July on second-quarter earnings and sales, pushing to a 52-week high of $110. Analysts are calling for upside of nearly 25%, based on an average price target of $114.80. Fourteen analysts, including those at RBC Capital and Oppenheimer, say Biogen is a "buy." Another 10, including Goldman Sachs and R.W. Baird, say investors should sit tight. Only one firm recommends selling shares of Biogen.
6. AutoNation (AN) Company Profile: AutoNation is the largest auto-dealership chain in the U.S. The company offers a range of automotive products and services, including new vehicles, used vehicles, parts and automotive repair and maintenance services, and automotive finance and insurance products. 2011 Total Return: 35.9% Current Share Price: $38.32 (Aug. 25) Shares of AutoNation sit near an all-time high, but the stock is actually among the S&P 500 constituents with the largest negative gap between share price and analyst targets. According to a survey by Bloomberg, analysts have an average price target of $32.50, 17% below current levels. Most analysts are neutral or bearish on the stock; AutoNation garners no "buy" ratings from the 14 analysts following the stock. Despite the dour view of analysts, AutoNation continues to perform. Second-quarter revenue increased nearly 8%, although that fell short of estimates due to shortages from Japanese manufacturers following the tsunami and earthquake.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV