The Press-Register of Mobile, Ala. collected samples on Tuesday of oil from water about a mile from where the Deepwater Horizon oil drilling rig exploded in April 2010, resulting in the largest accidental marine oil spill in the history of the petroleum industry.
|Reports claimed that oil leaks appeared near the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded in April 2010|
"BP confirmed through a standard visual wellhead inspection that there is no release of oil from the Macondo well," the company said on Friday. "BP and the U.S. Coast Guard have conducted multiple surveys of the area in recent days and found no evidence of oil sheens in the Macondo vicinity."
BP said its inspection of the wellhead was prompted by press reports of petroleum bubbles near the abandoned site.The Press-Register sent its oil samples to a pair of chemists at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, La., who found that the samples matched the substance that spewed from the Macondo well more than a year ago. The chemists added that the oil was likely from a broken riser pipe or sunken platform. BP confirmed that the small, intermittent bubbles observed had emanated from cement ports at the base of the wellheads, which were a residual byproduct of the nitrified foam used to seal the well's surface with cement. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York.
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV