NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Goldman Sachs (GS) analysts said that Bank of America (BAC) will benefit from the boost in confidence following Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A) $5 billion investment, even though several other concerns persist.
In a Friday morning report, the team of analysts led by Richard Ramsden said legendary investor Warren Buffett's investment provided only a minimal common capital benefit, echoing other market analyst views.
While sentiment would likely improve, "several key overhangs still remain including the servicing settlement, concerns over its put-back settlement and mortgage litigation risk, and macro uncertainty," the analysts said. "While sizing these can prove to be challenging, the market appears to be pricing in an overly adverse outcome or a massively dilutive capital raise, neither of which we believe will happen. Even if losses related to these come out on the high end of our expectations, we believe BAC can absorb $40 bn of losses over the next few quarters and still have a 6% Basel III capital ratio at 4Q12."
Goldman expects Bank of America to continue shedding non-core assets, which should calm market fears on capital.The analysts dropped estimates for 2011 and 2012 earnings to a loss of 26 cents per share and profit of $1.20 per share respectively to reflect the impact of Buffett's investment. They, however, maintained the 12-month price target at $10, which is a 33% upside from current levels. Shares of Bank of America were trading 2% lower at $7.51 Friday morning. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV