By Meena Krishnamsetty
NEW YORK ( Insider Monkey) -- Insider Monkey follows hedge fund managers because they're the smartest investors around. They leave less to chance than do most investors. They go to great lengths to get an "edge" over ordinary investors.
Hedge fund managers also have the resources to do extensive research on public companies and they have access to experts who can guide them. We believe we are more likely to beat the market by imitating insiders and hedge funds than trading against them. Based on the transactions of nearly 350 hedge funds compiled by Insider Monkey, we present the list of top 12 healthcare stocks among hedge funds:
1. Pfizer (PFE): A whopping 75 hedge funds had Pfizer in their portfolios last quarter. Hedge funds collectively own 3% of the outstanding shares. The stock returned more than 18% over the last 52 weeks. David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital owns the most, with $483 Million. He's followed by Fisher Asset Management's $452 Million, Maverick Capital's $410 Million, and Appaloosa Management's $300 Million (see David Tepper's hot stock picks).2. Sanofi Aventis (SNY): Sixty-four hedge funds had Sanofi in their portfolios last quarter. Hedge funds collectively own 1.5% of the outstanding shares. The stock returned an incredible 33% over the past 52-weeks. Ken Fisher's Fisher Asset Management has nearly 15 million shares of the stock after the second quarter 11% increase. As of the end of June, the fund had nearly $600 Million in Sanofi Aventis (see Ken Fisher's top stock picks). Sanofi Aventis has a dividend yield of 5%. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway comes in second with $163 Million. 3. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ): Fifty-seven hedge funds had JNJ in their portfolios last quarter. Hedge funds collectively own 3.1% of the outstanding shares. The stock returned 14% over the past 52-weeks. The New Brunswick-based company is the maker of things like Band-Aids, Tylenol, and other products we use everyday, but don't really think about it. Johnson & Johnson has one investor in it that will make other shareholders sleep better at night: Warren Buffett ( check out Warren Buffett's top holdings here). 4. WellPoint (WLP): Fifty-five hedge funds had WellPoint in their portfolios last quarter. Hedge funds collectively own 11.6% of the outstanding shares. The stock returned 21% over the past 52 weeks. Owl Creek Asset Management has more shares -- nearly 4 million -- than any other fund we track.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV