NEW YORK (ETF Digest) -- Our goal in this profile is to help investors wade through the many competing ETF offerings available. Using our long experience as an ETF publication, and nearly 40 years in the investment business, we can help select those ETFs that matter and may or may not be repetitive. The result is a more manageable list of issues from which to view and make selections.
India remains one of the world's fastest growing economies that also happens to be a democracy. The middle class continues to expand and Western developed countries continue to outsource many jobs to India. Like other fast growing economies, when growth becomes too hot, inflation issues rise to the surface. When this happens equity markets tend to become volatile and may suffer more than with other developed markets. With higher betas (volatility) you tend to always see outperformance on the upside but the opposite when conditions deteriorate. The country's demographics argue for good consumer opportunities as well as high infrastructure improvements. The Indian government owing to its socialist past continues to move forward but is still often constrained by the entrenched bureaucracy.India has been a more difficult sector with which to create new products, making pure ETF choices more difficult to find. We're featuring those choices that are available along with multinational ETFs with heavy India exposure. We're not ranking these ETFs favoring one over another so don't let the listing order mislead you. Although we may use some of these in ETF Digest portfolios it's not our intention to recommend one over another. Our technical analysis methodology involves using, where possible, monthly charts with enough data to allow investors to stay on the right side of the 12 month moving averages. Further, when market prices move too far above or below this moving average investors can assume a correction in the other direction will eventually take place. In this regard caution is advised. Direxion Shares offers inverse and leveraged long ETFs for those investors wishing to hedge or speculate. EPI (WisdomTree India ETF) follows the WisdomTree India Earnings Index which is a fundamentally weighted index based primarily on companies within India achieving a high level of consistent earnings growth. The fund was launched in February 2008. The expense ratio is .83%. AUM (Assets under Management) equal $1.2 billion and average daily trading volume is 2.9M shares. As of mid-August 2011 the annual dividend was $$.01 making the current yield .37% and YTD return -18.50%.
Data as of January 2011
EPI Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Reliance Industries Ltd. (RELIANCE): 12.42%
- Infosys Ltd (EQINFY): 6.17%
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC): 4.49%
- Bharti Airtel Ltd. (BHARTIARTL): 4.29%
- Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd. (HDFC): 3.21%
- ICICI Bank Ltd (ICICIBANK): 2.97%
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (TCS): 2.92%
- State Bank of India (SBIN): 2.58%
- HDFC Bank Ltd (500180): 2.17%
- ITC Ltd. (ITC): 2.00%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV