Timing America's Comeback
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- You can't believe anything you hear in August anymore. Hedge funds are intent on manufacturing an August low through the manipulation of stock prices and the indirect manipulation of the media. Europe knows it, which is why they banned short selling for the remainder of the month. We know it, which is why we sold the portfolio to 80% cash at the beginning of the month.
As volatility increases in the modern age, so does the importance of managing the calendar. Hedge funds expose any weakness they can find and the low volume/vacation month of August has become a favorite. Anyone who thinks otherwise does so at their own peril.
In the most absurd development of the month,
S&P President Deven Sharma announced that he is stepping down, only a few short weeks after his kamikaze mission to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV