Winners and losers updated with closing prices.
The company's agreement to sell 50,000 preferred shares to Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) for $5 billion propelled Bank of America's shares, along with a few other banks and the monoline insurers, on an otherwise down day for the market.
As part of its investment deal with Bank of America, Berkshire Hathaway received warrants to purchase up to 700 million of the bank's common shares at price of just above $7.14. So Buffet was in the money by $357 million at Thursday's market close.The preferred shares have a 6% coupon, and Berkshire Hathaway will also receive a 5% premium when Bank of America redeems the preferred shares. While the broad indexes all saw 2% declines, bond insurers piggybacked on Bank of America. Shares of Radian (RDN) shot up 12% to close at $2.70, while MBIA (MBI) saw a smaller gain of 2% to close at $6.90. Units of both companies are suing Bank of America over mortgage claims. TheKBW Bank Index (I:BKX) declined sightly to close at 37.65, with 20 out of 24 index components down for the session. Other large banks seeing bucking the banking sector's downward trend on Thursday included Citigroup (C) which was up 5% to close at $29.83; Morgan Stanley (MS), rising over 3% to close at $16.77; and Wells Fargo (WFC), which rose 1% to close at $24.76. Thursday's financial loser was Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB), which declined over 3% to close at $9.73.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV