John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc. (NASDAQ: JBSS):
Quarterly Comparison Overview:
- Net sales increased by 17.5%
- Sales volume increased by 0.5%
- Gross profit increased by 7.3%
- Income before income taxes decreased by $1.7 million to $2.5 million
- Income before income taxes, excluding goodwill impairment, increased by $3.9 million to $8.2 million*
John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc. (NASDAQ: JBSS) (hereinafter the “Company”) today announced operating results for its fiscal 2011 fourth quarter and fiscal year ended June 30, 2011. When considering year over year comparisons made in this release, it should be noted that the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 and fiscal year 2011 were thirteen week and fifty-three week periods, respectively, while the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010 and fiscal year 2010 were twelve week and fifty-two week periods, respectively.
Net income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 was $2.2 million, or $0.21 per share diluted, compared to net income of $2.7 million, or $0.25 per share diluted, for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010. Net income for fiscal year 2011 was $2.8 million, or $0.26 per share diluted, compared to net income of $14.4 million, or $1.34 per share diluted, for fiscal year 2010.Income before income taxes for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 of $2.5 million included a goodwill impairment charge of $5.7 million. The goodwill arose from the acquisition of Orchard Valley Harvest, Inc. (“OVH”), which was completed in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010. The OVH goodwill was assigned to the Company’s single reporting unit. As a result of the annual impairment review performed in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, the Company concluded that the entire goodwill balance was impaired. The impairment was due to the significant decline in the market value and operating results of the Company for fiscal 2011, which have been negatively impacted by the challenging market conditions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV