NEW YORK ( ETF Digest) -- Our goal in this profile is to help investors wade through the many competing ETF offerings available. Using our long experience as an ETF publication, and nearly 40 years in the investment business, we can help select those ETFs that matter and may or may not be repetitive. The result is a more manageable list of issues from which to view and make selections.
China, the world's fastest growing economy, continues to intrigue and draw investors to it. The high rate of economic growth has positive implications for investment opportunities. At the same time, high rates of growth create inflationary pressures, which can quickly cause turmoil and losses for linked equity markets. There remains a level of regulatory and corporate governance mistrust among some investors questioning the accuracy of accounting standards and enforcement.
There are enough ETF choices from which to choose and we provide you with some of the most popular choices. We've cobbled some good choices together and where repetitive choices exist we've paired some together having similarities too hard to ignore.We're not ranking these ETFs favoring one over another so don't let the listing order mislead you. Although we may use some of these in ETF Digest portfolios it's not our intention to recommend one over another. Our technical analysis methodology involves using, where possible, monthly charts with enough data to allow investors to stay on the right side of the 12 month moving averages. Further, when market prices move too far above or below this moving average investors can assume a correction in the other direction will eventually take place. In this regard caution is advised. ProShares and Direxion Shares both offer inverse and leveraged long ETFs for those investors wishing to hedge or speculate. FNI (First Trust Chindia ETF) follows the ISE Chindia ETF which consists of 50 ADRs and or stocks of companies domiciled in China or India. The fund was launched in May 2007. The expense ratio is .60%. AUM (Assets under Management) equal $130 million and average daily trading volume is 48K shares. As of mid-August 2011 the annual dividend was $.05 making the current yield .22% and YTD return -9.50%.
Data as of August 2011
FNI Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Baidu, Inc. ADR (BIDU): 7.63%
- HDFC Bank Ltd ADR (HDB): 7.14%
- ICICI Bank Ltd ADR (IBN): 7.08%
- China Mobile Ltd. ADR (CHL): 6.96%
- Infosys Ltd ADR (INFY): 6.85%
- CNOOC, Ltd. ADR (CEO): 6.61%
- SINA Corporation (SINA): 4.41%
- Ctrip.com International, Ltd. ADR (CTRP): 4.03%
- PetroChina Company, Ltd. ADR (PTR): 4.02%
- Sterlite Industries (India), Ltd. ADR (SLT): 3.86%
Data as of August 2011
FXI Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- China Mobile Ltd. (00941): 9.68%
- China Construction Bank Corp (00939): 9.22%
- Industrial And Commercial Bank Of China Ltd. (01398): 7.96%
- CNOOC, Ltd. (00883): 6.51%
- Bank Of China Ltd. (03988): 5.46%
- China Telecom Corp Ltd (00728): 4.32%
- Ping An Insurance Group (02318): 4.27%
- China Shenhua Energy Company Limited (01088): 4.23%
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (00386): 4.07%
- Agricultural Bank of China Ltd. (01288): 4.01%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV