After several months of challenging designers around the world to think outside the box about sustainability, Dassault Systèmes (DS) SolidWorks Corp. officially announces the first-ever grand prize winners and runners up of the Green Design Contest.
The contest, which kicked off in honor of Earth Day on April 22, required contestants to use SolidWorks® 3D CAD software to design a low-impact airport terminal chair. Contestants developed the chair for a fictitious new green airline to be mass produced for use within an airport terminal. Among other entry rules, the designs had to be tested with SolidWorks SustainabilityXpress, the environmental assessment software included within the license for SolidWorks CAD software. With SolidWorks SustainabilityXpress, contestants were asked to measure the design’s carbon footprint, air and water impacts, and energy consumption throughout the product life cycle. In addition to sustainability tests, every design had to be analyzed with SolidWorks SimulationXpress, an analysis tool built into SolidWorks, to help ensure that the chair design could withstand the stresses of everyday use.
“This contest really showcased some extremely creative and talented designers, who exhibited great understanding of the possibilities of different shapes and materials,” commented Asheen Phansey, sustainability product manager at DS SolidWorks. “Through the design entries submitted, we saw that the SolidWorks community knows that the first step toward greener products is a fundamental understanding and appreciation for effective design.”
Commercial grand prize winner Russell Donovan, of Auckland, New Zealand, will travel to Chaa Creek rainforest eco-resort in Belize in recognition for his “Leaf” chair design. Runners up in the Commercial category, who each win an iPad, include:
- Michael Kali, USA
- Xiang Ma, USA
- Ronald Majewski, USA
- Graham Nolan, United Kingdom
- Dallas Winspear, Australia
- Karan Ambwani, BITS, Pilani - Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
- K.S. Gopala Krishnan, Vellore Institute of Technology (India)
- Ian Jutras, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (USA)
- Vigneshkumar Kannan, Sona College of Technology (India)
- Rahul Surendran, Sona College of Technology (India)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV