Shares of PrivateBancorp (PVTB) of Chicago closed at $7.86 Monday, down 45% year-to-date. The shares trade for 0.6 times their tangible book value of $12.67, according to SNL Financial.
The company owes $243.8 million in TARP money.PrivateBancorp had $12.1 billion in total assets of June 30 and reported second-quarter net income available to common shareholders of $5.5 million, or eight cents a share, compared to a net loss of $818 thousand, or a penny a share, during the second quarter of 2010. The second-quarter provision for loan losses declined to $31.1 million from $45.4 million a year earlier. The second-quarter net interest margin was a 3.36%, declining slightly from a year earlier. The second-quarter return on average assets (ROA) was 0.29%, reflecting the continued drag on earnings from credit expenses. The second-quarter net charge-off ratio was 1.95%, declining from 2.24% a year earlier. Loan loss reserves covered 2.38% of total loans as of June 30. Following PrivateBancorp's second-quarter earnings announcement in July, Peyton Green of Sterne Agee reiterated his neutral rating for PrivateBancorp and lowered his 2012 earnings estimate by 15 cents to 80 cents a share, saying the credit cycle remained "very sticky" for the company. Green also took note that the company's $120 million in deferred taxes -- representing 14% of its tangible common equity - didn't "carry any sort of valuation allowance," meaning a write-down could be in store. The shares trade for 10 times the 2012 consensus earnings estimate of 77 cents a share, among analysts polled by FactSet. Three out of 14 analysts covering PrivateBancorp rate the shares a buy. The remaining analysts all have neutral ratings, which isn't surprising, considering the TARP overhang and skittishness over the deferred tax assets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV