9. Banner Corp.
Shares of Banner Corp. (BANR) of Walla Walla, Wash., closed at $13.32 Monday, down 17% year-to-date. The shares trade for 0.6 times their tangible book value of $23.02, according to SNL Financial.
Based on a quarterly payout of seven cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.10%.The company owes $124 million in TARP money. Factoring-in $1.55 million in dividends on the preferred shares held by the government and $425 thousand in discount accretion on the preferred shares, Banner swung to a first-quarter profit of $224 thousand, or a penny a share, compared to a year-earlier loss of $6.9 million, or $1.97 a share. The provision for loan losses declined to $8 million in the second quarter, from $16 million a year earlier. Second-quarter earnings were also boosted by a $1.9 million adjustment in the valuation of assets carried at fair value. The company had $4.2 billion in total assets as of June 30. Nonperforming assets totaled $188.4 million as of June 30, or 4.48% of total assets, improving from 6.02% a year earlier. FIG partners analyst Timothy Coffey has an "outperform" rating for Banner, with a $21 target, saying on July 22 that "once consistent profitability is sustained, management can think about reversing the $39 million DTA-Deferred Tax Asset valuation allowance," which he estimated "was unlikely until 2013 based on recent results." The consensus estimate among analysts polled by FactSet is for Banner to earn eight cents a share in 2012. Five out of six analysts covering Banner Corp. rate the shares a buy, while the remaining analyst has a neutral rating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV