The stock closed up 10% Tuesday as investors cheered a report that Sprint would have the iPhone sometime in October, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited two people.
The news comes as Apple is expected to be preparing two iPhone models for the holidays. The first is the iPhone 5 world phone; the second is a stripped-down iPhone 4 that could be sold by telcos as a giveaway in exchange for a two-year contract.
Sprint has struggled with customer defections for the past three years as users fled to other carriers. Part of the exodus was the draw of the iPhone at Verizon (VZ) and AT&T (T). Sprint has about 50 million subscribers, which is nearly half the size of No. 1 player Verizon.For Apple, Sprint would be yet another outlet for the popular phone. If there is a cheaper version of the iPhone, Sprint's Boost Mobile unit could end up with a hot seller for the Christmas season. After closing regular trading up 10% at $3.59 Tuesday, Sprint was up another 1% in the after-hours session. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Scott on Twitter at MoritzDispatch
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV