The stock closed up 10% Tuesday as investors cheered a report that Sprint would have the iPhone sometime in October, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited two people.
The news comes as Apple is expected to be preparing two iPhone models for the holidays. The first is the iPhone 5 world phone; the second is a stripped-down iPhone 4 that could be sold by telcos as a giveaway in exchange for a two-year contract.
Sprint has struggled with customer defections for the past three years as users fled to other carriers. Part of the exodus was the draw of the iPhone at Verizon (VZ) and AT&T (T). Sprint has about 50 million subscribers, which is nearly half the size of No. 1 player Verizon.For Apple, Sprint would be yet another outlet for the popular phone. If there is a cheaper version of the iPhone, Sprint's Boost Mobile unit could end up with a hot seller for the Christmas season. After closing regular trading up 10% at $3.59 Tuesday, Sprint was up another 1% in the after-hours session. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Scott on Twitter at MoritzDispatch
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV