Huntsman Endorses 'Revenue Neutral' Tax Hike
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman said on Tuesday that he would consider a tax increase in order to reinvest it in the tax code if he were elected president in 2012.
Speaking on CNBC's morning show "Squawk Box," the former U.S. ambassador to China said that along with the "revenue neutral" tax hike, he would also create more of a flat tax to bring some of the 50% of Americans who don't pay taxes into the equation.
|Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman|
Huntsman's spokesman was careful to point out that the former governor did not intend to raise taxes to close the deficit.
"He said he'd reinvest it in the tax code by lowering the rate and broadening the base," Spokesman Tim Miller told TheStreet in an email. "He clearly said he doesn't think we should use revenue increases to close the deficit."The flat tax idea has become a talking point for Texas Gov. Rick Perry as well, who said that he'd support a flat tax to make the current tax code simpler. Huntsman said on Tuesday that he supported the flat tax for the same reason: It's simple. "His point is it would be revenue neutral," Miller said in the email. "It's only increasing taxes if you close loopholes for the sake of raising revenue." However, when asked on "Squawk Box" if his idea to "reinvest" revenue into the tax code was a tax increase, Huntsman replied: "That's a tax increase." Huntsman was appointed ambassador to China by President Barack Obama, which GOP candidates criticized as an odd relationship for a man who wants to run against the very same president. The former Utah governor
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV