MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- The market had a relatively orderly retreat last week and that should have investors nervous. Sure volatility exploded as stocks fell, but I did not get the sense of real panic selling by investors. That perceived complacency puts us at risk for further losses.
What we are seeing Monday is an adjustment to stock market value given the expectation of smaller cash flows. I've been most worried about the sensationalist nature of a market correction becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, and yet that is what I think we are getting when it comes to the future of the economy.
With policy responses limited by a debt strapped national government and zero interest rates of the Federal Reserve what is out there to save us? I'm honestly not sure. As such selling in the market of late actually makes some sense.
One group of stocks getting hit particularly hard is the small-cap space. A small company that disappoints the market can be pummeled. One of the stocks I follow, ValueVision (VVTV) lost some 30% of its value last week after reporting profit results that fell short of expectations. Particularly troubling is the fact that the losses came on the heels of a stock that was already down hard.Related: 5 Rocket Stocks to Buy for Another Volatile Week In this market environment there are plenty of other small-cap stocks that could be vulnerable to a collapse in share value. Here are 5 small-cap stocks that could lose a ton should the numbers fail to impress.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV