Consumer Stock Takeovers: Deals and Targets
Home appliances maker Electrolux agreed to acquire Chilean appliance maker CTI, according to Aug. 22 reports.
The deal was valued at 4.4 billion crowns ($686.5 million), Electrolux said on Aug. 22. Under the terms of the deal, Electrolux will purchase 64% of CTI shares owned by Sigdo Koppers and associated parties. It will also begin a cash tender offer to acquire 100% of all outstanding CTI shares at 34.87 Chilean pesos (7.4 cents) per share, plus another cash tender offer for all outstanding shares of CTI subsidiary Somela for 325 Chilean pesos (69 cents) per share.
CTI makes fridges, stoves, washing machines and heaters, and holds around 36% of the Chilean market share for home appliances, with a strong footprint in Argentina as well.Sweden's Electrolux sees the acquisition as a way to help bolster its presence in emerging markets as sluggish demand persists in mature consumer markets.
"The company is not growing its earnings at a dramatic pace by these acquisitions, but price tags seem reasonable and the strategic importance should not be underestimated," noted analysts from Danske Markets. Electrolux had also been in talks to acquire bankrupt South Korean company Daewoo but those negotiations ended. It did recently acquire Egyptian appliance maker Olympic Group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV