Speculation that PepsiCo (PEP) may be headed for a separation of its drinks and snacks businesses may be just that. On the heels of Kraft Foods (KFT) and Sara Lee's (SLE) moves to slim down for profits by spinning off parts of their businesses, some analysts wondered if PepsiCo might do well to take similar action.
But "PepsiCo isn't on the road to Splitsville any time soon," said IBISWorld beverage analyst Agata Kaczanowska. Its "dual portfolio
Pepsi CEO Indra Nooyi has commented that the company's Frito-Lay operations could thrive as an independently run company, but has also said that marketing and distribution synergies for its dual snacks-beverages portfolio are too beneficial for the company to break the two up.
Kaczanowska pointed out that "in the US Soda Production industry the company has a 33.6% market share. It is second behind Coca-Cola (KO) (41.2%) and is facing increasing competition from private labels and Dr. Pepper Snapple (DPS) (15.4%) ... Comparatively, Frito-Lay has a 48.4% market share in the Snack Food Production industry, with Kraft and General Mills (GIS) far behind with just 5.2% and 5.1% market share, respectively. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV