Google (GOOG) acquired restaurant reviewing service Zagat Survey, according to Sept. 8 reports, in an effort to bolster its relationships with local businesses and advertisers.
"Moving forward, Zagat will be a cornerstone of our local offering -- delighting people with their impressive array of reviews, ratings and insights, while enabling people everywhere to find extraordinary (and ordinary) experiences around the corner and around the world," said Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of local, maps and location services, in a blog post. She added that Zagat gives Google "a world-class team that has more experience in consumer based-surveys, recommendations and reviews than anyone else in the industry."
Zagat guides, founded more than 30 years ago, review hotels, restaurants, shopping and a wide range of consumer categories. The service is available in print and online.The deal price was undisclosed, and some speculated whether the agreed-upon price was similar to the near-$500 million Google offered for Yelp -- an online user-generated review service for local businesses -- in 2009. News of the deal hit online restaurant reservation service OpenTable (OPEN) particularly hard; investors bid the stock nearly 12% lower in the minutes following news of Google's Zagat acquisition.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV