(Consumer stock takeover report updated with details about Unilever's acquisition of Russia-based Concern Kalina.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Unilever (UN) is set to acquire Russian cosmetic maker Concern Kalina, underscoring a growing trend of corporate deal-making in the consumer stock sector.
M&A activity in the U.S. was up more than 40% year over year in the first half of 2011, and the second half of the year already has seen its share of deals.
Unilever announced Oct. 14 it would acquire 82% of Kalina as it looks to grow its footprint in the "high-growth" emerging market with a "leading position in skin care in Russia."
The deal values Kalina, Russia's largest skin, hair and personal product maker, at around $690.4 million.Kalina's portfolio of personal care products adds to Unilever's roster, which includes Dove, Axe, Pond's, St. Ives, TRESemme, Sunsilk, Vaseline and V05, among others. Once the 82% acquisition passes regulatory approval, Unilever said it would make a tender offer for the remainder of Kalina's shares. Kalina is currently listed on the RTS and MICEX stock exchanges. Click here for news of other recent takeover deals and targets...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV