NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Actor Ashton Kutcher, who will soon appear in CBS's Two and a Half Men," could receive a visit from Securities and Exchange Commission authorities about his time as a guest editor for Details magazine.
Kutcher wrote for an online September edition of the magazine called "The Social Issue" in which a number of popular Web tools like Google (GOOG) and Amazon (AMZN) are listed along with Details' choice for a "next generation" alternative.
|Ashton Kutcher's next date could be with SEC officials.|
"If you read Ashton's editors letter, you'll see he succeeded in his mission to get people to talk about and even criticize this social issue," said Details Editor in Chief Dan Peres, The New York Times reported. "I stand by how we communicated Ashton's involvement with some of the companies included in our coverage and remain extremely proud of the work we did on this project."Journalists must disclose any ties or investments they have to companies and their stocks, and in 2009 the SEC ruled that bloggers must follow the same scrutiny. Kutcher, who once starred in MTV's "Punk'd," does a question-and-answer with the social issue that declares: "Consider this Ashton's guided tour of the coolest stuff happening online right now." In his answers to the magazine, the guest editor said he became a "tech nerd" after his company Katalyst did a deal with AOL (AOL) to produce short-form Web content, but the advent of Facebook and Twitter made Kutcher realize that he could be popular online without a big media company's help. TheStreet forbids its reporters from holding a personal stake in companies. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York.
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV