RIM Close to Launching Music Service
The music service is expected to work with RIM's BlackBerry Messenger, the company's instant-message system, reported Reuters and The Wall Street Journal.
RIM is in late-stage negotiations with major music labels Universal Music, Sony Music, Warner Music and EMI, Reuters said.
The new service, BBM Music, is expected to be announced by Sept. 5, according to Reuters. The Journal said the service could launch as soon as next week.The new service could help the BlackBerry smartphones compete against Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and phones using Google's (GOOG) Android operating system, the Journal noted. Analyst Matthew Thornton at Avian Securities told Reuters he doubted the music service would attract new users but might help RIM keep its existing BlackBerry customers interested. RIM's BlackBerry smartphones have been losng market share in the U.S. People in the music industry have been told BBM Music will cost significantly less than Spotify or Rhapsody, which both charge $10 a month for unlimited access to music on mobile phones, the Journal said. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV