One earnings short squeeze play in the energy transportation sector is Golar LNG (GLNG), which is set to release numbers on Thursday before the market open. This a mid-stream liquefied natural gas company engages primarily in the transportation, regasification and liquefaction of LNG. It acquires, owns, operates and charters LNG carriers and floating storage regasification units. Wall Street analysts, on average, expect Golar to report revenue of $53.75 million on earnings of 23 cents per share.
This stock is trending pretty strong heading into the quarter since shares are only about 7 points off its 52-week high of $39.90 a share.The current short interest as a percentage of the float for Golar is 4.4%. That means that out of the 42.32 million shares in the tradable float, 1.89 million are sold short by the bears. This isn't a huge short interest, but it's more than enough considering the small float to pop this stock on a solid earnings report. From a technical standpoint, this stock is currently trading below its 50-day moving average and above its 200-day moving average, which is neutral trendwise. The stock recently dropped from a high of $39.90 a share to its current price of just above $32 a share. Look for volume that's close to or greater than its three-month average action of 700,000 shares. The way I would play Golar would be to buy this stock after their report once you see it trade back above its 50-day moving average of $34.70 on solid volume. Look for volume that's close to or greater than its three-month average action of 700,000 shares. I would only short this stock if it drops below some near-term resistance after its report at $31.50 a share on big volume. I would add to any short positions if it then takes out some more previous support at $27.50 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV