Beazley Identifies Top Misconceptions That Leave Small Businesses Vulnerable To Data Breaches
FARMINGTON, Conn., Aug. 17 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Recently released research reveals a high incidence of data breaches affecting small and mid-sized businesses. According to a survey by the Identity Theft Resource Center ® of 226 security breaches(1), 44 percent of the victims in the first half of this year were businesses with assets of under $35 million, which lost in aggregate 3.6 million customer records. Verizon's 2011 data breach report of 759 occurrences conducted in collaboration with the US Secret Service shows 63 percent of last year's breaches involved organizations with no more than 100 employees.(2)
Beazley insures hundreds of small businesses for data privacy risks. But most small businesses currently go without insurance coverage due to a variety of misconceptions about the scale of the risk and the scope of their existing insurance protections.
Jamie Orye, an underwriter who manages the US Private Enterprise/Small Business Technology team for Beazley, said: "Cyber criminals view small businesses as easier targets than their larger, more technologically sophisticated counterparts. They have limited resources to protect themselves, and with more modest incomes, these small businesses have more to lose."
Among the misconceptions frequently relayed to Beazley underwriters by small business owners or their brokers are:
- The cost of responding to impacted clients is simply a postage stamp per breached record.
- Our information is well-protected by our IT consultants.
- Our employees would not act maliciously and know how to protect our data.
- Security breaches are covered by our general liability policy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV