5. Starbucks (SBUX) is the world's leading roaster and retailer of specialty coffee with operations in more than 50 countries. The company conducts its business through three segments: U.S., International, and Global Consumer Products Group.
Total revenue for the third quarter of 2011 was reported at $2.9 billion, increasing 12.3% from the year-ago quarter. Net earnings stood at $279.1 million, or 36 cents per share, up 34.2% from $207.9 million, or 27 cents per share, in the same quarter a year earlier. The company's operating margin improved 300 basis points in the U.S. and 200 basis points in the international segment during the quarter.
The company recently introduced a more convenient online shopping experience by redesigning StarbucksStore.com. With its growing digital presence, the company expects to attract and connect with more customers in unique ways. Besides, SBUX recently acquired 100% ownership and operating control of Starbucks Coffee Switzerland and Starbucks Coffee Austria.The company will pay a dividend of 13 cents per share on Aug. 26, 2011. For 2011, SBUX expects its new-store count to reach 600, with 100 in the U.S and the remainder worldwide. Earnings per share are expected to range from $1.50 to $1.51, topping the earlier estimate of 15% to 20% growth. Revenue for the year is estimated to grow by about 10%, led by comparable store sales growth at the high end of its target range of 3% to 7%. Of the 26 analysts covering the stock, 62% rate it a buy and the rest rate it a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. The average 12-month price target of analysts polled by Bloomberg is $45.47, 16.9% greater than recent levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV