MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Aug. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Omnicell, Inc. (NASDAQ: OMCL), a leading provider of medication and supply management solutions and analytics software for healthcare facilities, today announced that the University of Chicago Medical Center (UCMC) will implement a decentralized drug dispensing model using Omnicell solutions. The installation will include Omnicell Inventory Management Carousels with WorkflowRx™ software for comprehensive medication inventory management, as well as Omnicell automated dispensing systems to help streamline pharmacy and nursing workflow efficiency.
The 532-bed UCMC is rapidly growing to better serve patients, and will open its newest hospital pavilion in 2013. The expansion will feature the introduction of the new Omnicell G4 platform into nursing units throughout the Medical Center.
Omnicell's new G4 platform features a single unified database across the continuum of medications maintained in the hospital's automated dispensing cabinets and mobile medication systems, thereby decreasing the risk of human error and improving pharmacy workflow. The G4 platform also supports a decentralized drug dispensing model that puts medication stock for first doses and other scheduled and "as needed" doses close to nurses and other end users.
Omnicell solutions are designed to integrate with the Center's computerized physician order entry (CPOE), allowing decentralized pharmacists to facilitate more efficient medication administration. UCMC chose the decentralized pharmacy practice model after an extensive review of the workflows and total cost of ownership of their previous central fill, robot system for medication administration. UCMC estimates that implementing a decentralized pharmacy practice model will result in reallocating 22,000 annual nursing hours back to patient care and away from time spent trying to locate and account for medications."Omnicell has designed their products to maximize medication safety and workflow efficiency," said Dave Hicks RPh, MBA, vice president and chief pharmacy officer at the University of Chicago Medical Center. "We reviewed the feature and functionality benefits of the leading competitive solutions, and we believe the new Omnicell G4 platform is a very appealing technology." UCMC determined it will convert from robotic medication dispensing to Omnicell state-of-the-art technology solutions for pharmacy and nursing. UCMC's decision to convert from robot storage mirrors the trend cited in Pharmacy Purchasing & Products' 6th Annual State of Pharmacy Automation survey of health system pharmacy directors published in August 2011. The survey found that robot adoptions have declined while the use of carousels and decentralized (cart-less) dispensing systems has increased. In fact, 83 percent of those surveyed who are automating their storage and retrieval systems expect to be using carousels by 2016. UCMC plans include implementing the following Omnicell solutions:
- Omnicell Pharmacy Medication Management Carousels with WorkflowRx software in the central pharmacy.
- OmniRx® G4 Automated Medication Dispensing Cabinets (ADCs) throughout the nursing floors.
- SinglePointe ™ software to handle and store virtually 100 percent of a patient's medications within the automated dispensing cabinets to improve pharmacy and nursing workflow efficiency and reduce the chance for medication errors or missed doses.
- Anywhere RN™ solution, which allows nurses to review and select medication orders needed from the cabinet remotely to save time and minimize interruptions that could lead to medication administration errors.
- OmniDispenser™ module for the controlled substances in the ADCs to create a safe and secure medication management process that eliminates the need for nursing countbacks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV